Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Preface

Eight months ago I lost my best friend to a boating accident. Five days before we were set to graduate a group of my friends when camping by Cayuga lake. Around 4:30 am or 5 in the morning, Chris took a canoe out by himself where he capsized and drowned due to hypothermia. I was completely shocked and devastated, feeling as if I too had drowned into the dark depths of the lake without any hope of resurfacing.

About a month after this incident my dad called me up with a piece of information that gave me a slight shimmer of hope. He told me about a blog post he had read on climate progress, describing the "Great March for Climate Action". He said they were recruiting 1000 people to walk across the country to bring attention to climate change and demand something be done about it. As he was telling me about it I was thinking "This is exactly what I needed". I signed up without hesitation.

Chris was the most altruistic and genuinely caring person I've ever known. Videography was his passion and he applied it in ways that benefitted people by creating beautifully crafted documentaries shedding light on poverty in Haiti and the perils of fossil fuels. I am extremely grateful that some of his video-making talent rubbed off on me, which I know means I must use it to document the march and dedicate the film in his memory.

No comments:

Post a Comment